Musical Theatre Intensive
After a two-year hiatus, our full range of summer programs is back!
Aimed at young artists (ages 12–19) with a passion for singing, dancing, and acting, the Arts Club’s Musical Theatre Intensive (MTI) exposes students to the kind of rigorous training typically found only at the post-secondary level and begins their journey toward becoming a true “triple threat” (actor/singer/dancer).
Now entering its 18th year, the MTI continues its history of emphasizing process over product, guiding our students through voice, dance, and acting techniques that can consistently be applied outside of our program as well. We don’t simply teach music and dance steps; we give our students the skills to be authentic and expressive on any stage they play.
Beyond this practical application in the theatre, students finish our program having discovered more self-confidence, more respect for the talents and opinions of their peers, and greater engagement with the world around them. Our aim is to move beyond teaching kids how to sing and dance as we ask them to put aside their fears, believe in themselves, and act (on and off the stage) with passion and integrity.
We don’t want to simply train actors—we want to nurture artists.
PROGRAM LOCATIONS AND DATES
BMO Theatre Centre (Vancouver)
Junior Program for ages 12–16 (program full)
July 18–29, 2022
Mon–Fri, 10 AM–4 PM
$595 (plus GST)
BMO Theatre Centre (Vancouver)
Senior Program for ages 15–19 (accepting applications)
August 1–19, 2022
Mon–Fri, 10 AM–5 PM
$945 (plus GST)
Surrey Arts Centre
Junior Program for ages 12–17 (accepting applications)
July 4–15, 2022
Mon–Fri, 10 AM–4 PM
To apply and learn more about the Surrey program, click here.
THIS PROGRAM IS GENEROUSLY SUPPORTED BY
Charles and Eve Chang Foundation
John C. Kerr Family Foundation
Art Vertlieb & Bev Briscoe
This program is aimed at young artists (ages 15–19) who are seriously considering post-secondary training in the performing arts. The program provides an experience similar to a full-time conservatory training program. Aside from attending classes for 7hrs/day 5 days/week, participants can expect to complete a great deal of prep work at home throughout the program.
Entrance into the senior program is by audition only.
Auditions will take place on Sat, May 7, 2022.
To be considered for an audition, please submit a photo and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is aimed at young artists (ages 12–17) who feel they are ready to move beyond beginner level classes in musical theatre performance. While our instructors are happy to work with students who have limited experience/training, please note that this is not an “intro” level program. Though a little less intense than our Senior Program, participants are expected to put extra time into their work at home each night.
To apply for the Vancouver Junior Program, complete and submit the application. No audition is necessary, but we do ask that students meet at least two of five prerequisites for the course.
Applicants must have any TWO of the following:
- dance training (2 years or more)
- private voice training (1 year or more)
- singing with a school or community choir (1 year or more)
- acting/drama classes (1 year or more)
- experience performing in a school or community musical
The deadline to apply for the Vancouver programs is Apr 29, 2022. If you are interested in applying for the MTI Junior Program in Surrey, click here for more information.
- instruction from industry professionals
- intimate class size ensures lots of one-on-one attention
- private vocal coaching
- dance classes
- acting classes
- musical theatre performance classes
- tickets to live performances
- meet other young people with similar aspirations and interests
- Q&A sessions with guest speakers from the professional theatre world
- final showcase to share your new skills with family and friends
- final reception for students, instructors, and guests
To learn more about the programs, contact email@example.com.
The Arts Club recognizes that access to theatre programming is an important part of who we are. If you are interested in this program, but are facing challenges due to socio-economic barriers, please contact Kevan Ellis, Director of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peter has over twenty years of experience working in musical theatre as an actor, director, choreographer, producer, and educator. As Co-Artistic Producer of Patrick Street Productions (PSP), he has been the resident director for their multiple award-winning musicals such as Into the Woods, Bat Boy: the Musical, The Light in the Piazza, The Best Laid Plans: a Musical, and A Little Night Music. Outside of PSP, favourite directing credits include Fiddler on the Roof (Persephone Theatre), Les Misérables (Chemainus Theatre Festival), Rock of Ages and Avenue Q (Arts Club). Recent performances include Lumiere in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (Arts Club), and the title role of Herringbone for PSP (a one-person, two-act musical in which he performed 11 different characters). Peter has been a passionate educator for over twenty years. As well as being the founder and Program Director of the Arts Club Musical Theatre Intensive, he runs professional performance master classes through PSP, has been a private voice and repertoire coach for over twenty years, and has adjudicated many music and drama festivals around the province.
Classes via Zoom:
- Tuesday, July 13, 1:30–3:00 PM
- Tuesday, July 20, 1:30–3:00 PM
- Tuesday, July 27, 1:30–3:00 PM
Classes in-person at the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage*:
- Thursday, August 5, 10 AM–1 PM
- Friday, August 6, 10 AM–1 PM
- Saturday, August 7, 10 AM–1 PM
Final performances at the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage*:
- Saturday, August 7, 2 PM
Each student will receive a total of 3.5 hours of private coaching with Program Director Peter Jorgensen and Musical Director Sean Bayntun. These sessions will be scheduled in advance in consultation with each participant, and can be online or in-person.*
*Public health orders permitting
Applications for the 2021 MTI program are now closed. To be added to the mailing list, contact Hila Graf, Education & Community Engagement Manager, at email@example.com.
When young people take part in the Arts Club’s Musical Theatre Intensive, they become part of our community and, whenever possible, we offer alumni opportunities to perform at special events and workshops.
The greatest thrill, however, is seeing our students move on to greater and greater success throughout the industry. Alumni of our program study at top theatre schools around the world, including Sheridan University, the National Theatre School, NYU Tisch, Studio 58, Grant MacEwan University, UBC, The Randolph Academy, AMDA, and LAMDA, among others.
We are also seeing more of our alumni working with professional companies around the world, including, of course, the Arts Club:
- Stuart Barclay—Enjolras in Les Misérables and Sky in Mamma Mia!
- Sierra Brewerton—Gypsy, Mary Poppins, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, and Mamma Mia!
- Darren Burkett—ensembles of Mary Poppins, Hairspray, White Christmas, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, The Producers, and Gypsy
- Andrew Cohen—Judas in Godspell; Circle Game (a Joni Mitchell revue he created with Anna Kuman)
- Kayla Dunbar—Kate Monster/Lucy in Avenue Q; ensembles of Hairspray and Gypsy; movement director for The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
- Cameron Dunster—ensemble of Spamalot
- Allison Fligg—ensembles of White Christmas and Hairspray
- Joel Grinke—projection/video design for Disney’s Beauty and the Beast and The Day Before Christmas
- Shannon Hanbury—Mamma Mia!; Babette in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast
- Kaylee Harwood—Cosette in Les Misérables
- Ellzabeth Irving—Mary Poppins and A Christmas Story: The Musical
- Daniel Pitout—White Christmas and The Producers
- Christine Quintana—Saint Joan and She Stoops to Conquer
- Brian Ribback—Billy Elliot
- Courtney Shields—assistant director on Rock of Ages
- Amanda Testini—assistant choreographer on Onegin
- Graham Verchere—Mary Poppins and A Christmas Story: The Musical
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK