Musical Theatre Intensive
Aimed at young artists (ages 12–19) with a passion for singing, dancing, and acting, the Arts Club’s Musical Theatre Intensive (MTI) exposes students to the kind of rigorous training typically found only at the post-secondary level and begins their journey toward becoming a true “triple threat” (actor/singer/dancer).
Now entering its 18th year, the MTI continues its history of emphasizing process over product, guiding our students through voice, dance, and acting techniques that can consistently be applied outside of our program as well. We don’t simply teach music and dance-steps; we give our students the skills to be authentic and expressive on any stage they play.
Beyond this practical application in the theatre, students finish our program having discovered more self-confidence, more respect for the talents and opinions of their peers, and greater engagement with the world around them. Our aim is to move beyond teaching kids how to sing and dance as we ask them to put aside their fears, believe in themselves, and act (on and off stage) with passion and integrity. We don’t want to simply train actors—we want to nurture artists.
Visit us on FACEBOOK
Applications for the MTI class of summer 2020 will open in January
For more information, please contact Hila Graf, Education & Outreach Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- instruction from industry professionals
- intimate class size ensures lots of one-on-one attention
- private vocal coaching
- dance classes
- acting classes
- musical theatre performance classes
- tickets to two Arts Club musicals! (Vancouver program)
- meet other young people with similar aspirations and interests
- Q&A sessions with guest speakers from the professional theatre world
- final showcase to share your new skills with family and friends
- final reception for students, instructors, and guests
*The Arts Club Theatre Company recognizes that access to theatre programming is an important part of who we are. If you are interested in this program, but are facing challenges accessing the program due to socio-economic barriers, please contact the Director of Education, Kevan Ellis for more information. email@example.com.
Peter Jorgensen founded the Musical Theatre Intensive with the Arts Club in 2002. Through the program his passion for musical theatre has now been shared with hundreds of young people, many of whom are now enjoying successful careers in theatre. After graduating from the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York, Peter returned home to Vancouver. As an actor he has performed for most major theatre companies in BC including She Loves Me, Forever Plaid, Dames at Sea, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, Dirty Blonde and Dial M… for Murder for the Arts Club. Now primarily a director, Peter has worked across Canada including Avenue Q and Rock of Ages for the Arts Club, as well as eight productions with his own company, Patrick Street Productions. For more information, visit Peter online at www.patrickstreetproductions.com
GENEROUSLY SUPPORTED BY:
Jim and Pam McAdie, Kate Dahlstrom, Alfred Schultz, and Leona Kolla
When young people take part in the Arts Club’s Musical Theatre Intensive, they become part of our community and, whenever possible, we offer alumni opportunities to perform at special events and workshops.
The greatest thrill, however, is seeing our students move on to greater and greater success throughout the industry. Alumni of our program study at top theatre schools around the world, including Sheridan University, the National Theatre School, NYU Tisch, Studio 58, Grant MacEwan University, UBC, The Randolph Academy, AMDA, and LAMDA, among others.
We are also seeing more and more of our alumni on professional stages around the world including, of course, here at the Arts Club. In fact, Sierra Brewerton, Darren Burkett, Joel Grinke, and Shannon Hanbury all worked on the Arts Club production of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast together (check out the video).
Among our very busy alumni, Kaylee Harwood (class of 2006) is currently performing with the national tour of Beautiful: the Carol King Story, Darren Burkett (class of 2005) recently finished the national tour of Matilda, and Graham Verchere (Jr. MTI) is a series regular on The Good Doctor.
Here are the fantastic alumni who have graced the Arts Club’s stages:
- STUART BARCLAY played Enjolras in Les Misérables and as Sky in Mamma Mia!
- SIERRA BREWERTON has appeared in Gypsy, Mary Poppins, and Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, and Mamma Mia!
- DARREN BURKETT was in the ensembles of Mary Poppins, Hairspray, White Christmas, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, The Producers, and Gypsy
- ANDREW COHEN played Judas in Godspell, and Circle Game (a Joni Mitchell review he created with Anna Kuman) is currently on tour.
- KAYLA DUNBAR played Kate Monster/Lucy in Avenue Q and was in the ensembles of Hairspray and Gypsy, and was the movement director for Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
- CAMERON DUNSTER was in the ensemble of Spamalot
- JOEL GRINKE has done projection/video design for Disney’s Beauty and the Beast and The Day Before Christmas
- SHANNON HANBURY has appeared in Mamma Mia! and played Babette in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast
- ELIZABETH IRVING appeared in Mary Poppins and A Christmas Story, The Musical
- ALLISON FLIGG was in the ensembles of White Christmas and Hairspray
- KAYLEE HARWOOD played Cosette in Les Misérables
- DANIEL PITOUT appeared in White Christmas and The Producers
- BRIAN RIBBACK appeared in Billy Elliot
- COURTNEY SHIELDS was assistant director on Rock of Ages
- AMANDA TESTINI was the assistant choreographer for Onegin
- CHRISTINE QUINTANA appeared in Saint Joan and She Stoops to Conquer
- GRAHAM VERCHERE appeared in Mary Poppins and A Christmas Story, The Musical
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK